Call for Nominations – CIES VP and Board of Directors
Monday, September 10, 2018
Call for Nominations: CIES Vice-President & Board of Directors Positions
The CIES Nominations Committee is currently seeking nominations for the upcoming annual election of members to the CIES Board of Directors. Nominations are encouraged across the broad spectrum of our membership—including researchers, analysts, and practitioners.
The election will take place over six weeks in November/December 2018. All CIES members for the 2018 calendar year will be eligible to cast ballots. The terms of those elected shall commence as of the State of the Society business meeting held during CIES 2019 San Francisco, the 63rd Annual Meeting of the Comparative and International Education Society.
Nominations are being sought for the following positions:
Vice-President (1 position)
Directors (3 positions)
Position descriptions and guidelines for identifying nominees are listed below. Additional information about the duties of these positions may be found in the CIES Constitution and Bylaws (available here).
The deadline to submit nominations is Monday, October 22, 2018. Nominations should be sent via email to the CIES Office of the Executive Director at OED@cies.us. All nominations should be submitted on formal/institutional letterhead and should include:
Should your nominee be included on the election ballot, the nominator will be asked to help secure the following information from the nominee:
- Name, affiliation, contact information for the person nominated.
- Summary statement indicating that appropriate guidelines have been met
- Brief paragraph stating rationale for nomination
- Contact information of person making nomination
- Candidate statement on their vision for CIES
The Nominations Committee will present two candidates to participate in the election of the next CIES Vice-President. The candidate elected into this position will serve a 1-year term as Vice-President and then subsequent 1-year terms as President-Elect, President, and Past-President. Specific information about the duties of these positions may be found in the CIES Constitution and Bylaws (available here). At a minimum, the candidate elected will need to participate in all Board and Executive Board meetings, collaborate with the Office of the Executive Director, and assume overall responsibility for steering the work of the Society.
Guidelines for Identifying Vice-President Nominees
- Nominees should show evidence of CIES membership of a minimum of ten years as a regular and/or emeritus member of the Society, and must be a current member of CIES.
- Nominees should have served on the Board of Directors, served as Chair of a SIG or standing committee, or have demonstrated comparable leadership within CIES.
- Nominees should have regularly attended and participated in regional and/or national meetings of the Society.
- Nominees should have a record of working on behalf of CIES at local, regional, national, and/or international levels.
- Nominees should demonstrate leadership and scholarly attainment in the field.
The Nominations Committee will present six candidates to fill three Director positions on the CIES Board. Each candidate elected into this position will serve a 3-year term. Specific information about Board member duties may be found in the CIES Constitution and Bylaws (available here); at a minimum, candidates elected will need to participate in all Board meetings (approximately four per year) and actively participate in the work of the Society by serving on sub-committees and working collaboratively with the OED.
Guidelines for Identifying Board of Directors Nominees
- Nominees should show evidence of membership in CIES for a minimum of five years as a regular and/or emeritus member of the Society, and be a current member of CIES.
- Nominees should show evidence of established professional and/or scholarly reputation in the field.
- Nominees should demonstrate a strong commitment to the Society through regular participation in regional and/or national conferences, membership on CIES SIGs or standing committees, and/or other activities intended to promote scholarship in comparative and international education.