Call for Nominations: CIES Vice-President & Board of Directors Positions
Thursday, October 13, 2016
Posted by: OED
The CIES Nominations Committee is currently seeking nominations for the CIES elections to be held in January/February 2017. Nominations are encouraged across the broad spectrum of our membership—including researchers, analysts, and practitioners.
Nominations are being sought for the following positions:
Vice-President (1 position)
Directors (3 positions)
Student Representative/Director (1 position)
Position descriptions and guidelines for identifying nominees are listed below. Additional information about the duties of these positions may be found in the CIES Bylaws (available here). The terms of those elected shall commence at the CIES 2017 Annual Conference, to be held in Atlanta, Georgia.
The deadline to submit nominations is Tuesday, November 29, 2016. Nominations should be sent via email to the CIES Office of the Executive Director at OED@cies.us. All nominations should include:
Should your nominee be included on the election ballot, the nominator will be asked to help secure the following information from the nominee:
- Name, affiliation, contact information for the person nominated.
- Summary statement indicating that appropriate guidelines have been met
- Brief paragraph stating rationale for nomination
- Contact information of person making nomination
- Candidate statement on their vision for CIES
The Nominations Committee will present two candidates to participate in the election of the next CIES Vice-President. The candidate elected into this position will serve a 1-year term as Vice-President and then subsequent 1-year terms as President-Elect, President, and Past-President.
Guidelines for Identifying Vice-President Nominees
- Nominees should show evidence of CIES membership of a minimum of ten years as a regular and/or emeritus member of the Society, and must be a current member of CIES.
- Nominees should have served on the Board of Directors, served as Chair of a SIG or standing committee, or have demonstrated comparable leadership within CIES.
- Nominees should have regularly attended and participated in regional and national meetings of the Society.
- Nominees should have a record of working on behalf of CIES at local, regional, national, and/or international levels.
- Nominees should demonstrate leadership and scholarly attainment in the field.
The Nominations Committee will present six candidates to fill three Director positions on the CIES Board. Each candidate elected into this position will serve a 3-year term.
Guidelines for Identifying Board of Directors Nominees
- Nominees should show evidence of membership in CIES for a minimum of five years as a regular and/or emeritus member of the Society, and be a current member of CIES.
- Nominees should show evidence of established professional and/or scholarly reputation in the field.
- Nominees should demonstrate a strong commitment to the Society through regular participation in regional and national conferences, membership on CIES SIGs or standing committees, and/or other activities intended to promote scholarship in comparative and international education.
The Nominations Committee will present three or four candidates to fill one Student Representative/Director position on the CIES Board. The candidate elected into this position will serve a 3-year term.
Guidelines for Identifying Student Representative/Director Nominees
- Student Board of Directors nominees should show evidence of membership in CIES for a minimum of two years.
- Student nominees should be in the advanced stage of their doctoral program.
- Student nominees should show commitment to the Society by having attended and participated (volunteer, paper presentation etc.) in at least two regional and/or national conferences.
- Student nominees should provide the Nominations Committee with a letter of recommendation from a faculty member who is active in CIES and is able to discuss the candidate’s leadership strengths.